Monday, February 16, 2009

the Rock

I was confronted by my wife late last night with an interesting comment. She told me that she had read her Bible today. I congratulated her, and was wondering what was coming next. As it turns out, I misunderstood and interrupted her in mid-sentence. What she had said was, "when I read my Bible today..." Her thought continued in a sleep induced haze "...I came across a lot of passages where God is referred to as the Rock." Again came my response, "that's good," as I waited for the epoch revelation that she certainly had coming (besides, I didn't dare interrupt again). Nothing; no epoch revelation, no continued commentary, just the information I have graced you with... The Bible refers to God many times as the Rock. I was at a loss. I take my role as spiritual leader of my family seriously, so I genuinely wanted to use this as a teaching moment to give her some insight. I couldn't do it. I was completely unprepared, as I lay in bed, to tie this Biblical principal in with everything that has been going on in our lives. I am still unprepared to do that, but fortunately for us, I am better prepared to offer a reminder based on the truth that she shared with me late last night. Application: The world today is unsettled. Bank on this, what we are told today by the media, by the president, and by other politicians, is going to be debatable if not in an hour then certainly by tomorrow. We are in uncertain times. Our footing is unsettled. When is the last time you had a conversation about how "shaky" things are, how "up in the air" it all is? How long has it been since you sat down with someone over a meal and began discussing all the terrible things going on, about how there is no certainty in the economy, about how the government seems to be spending money they don't have in order to produce a stimulus they can't guarantee? My guess is that it hasn't been long. You certainly have your own complaints about how things are going, how unsure or uneasy everything is. Here is the reminder; God alone is our rock and our salvation, our fortress where we will never be shaken (Psalm 62). Our focus ought to be so fastened on Him that the troubles of the world all dim in comparison. "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace." The Gospel of Matthew says it best, "don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing...Your heavenly Father already knows your needs, and He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern (6:31-33). Or for the traditionalist in you, "seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." The Lord is our Rock, He is our Stronghold to cling to, He is our Fortress to protect us. One last thing, if you believe it, DO IT!

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Nick. I am enjoying your work. You need to create a Facebook page for the blog, so you can build a "fan" base there. You can also connect the blog to Facebook, so whenever you post here it puts in link in your FB feed.

    I enjoy the insight, but wanted to point out an ironic archetype you touched on above...you used the term "bank on this." What struck me is that banks can no longer be "banked" on, in reality they never could have been. Now the Rock...you can stand on that.

    Keep it up. I'm looking forward to blog post 496.

    ReplyDelete