Wednesday, May 06, 2009

sports rant

Today is overcast and gloomy. The Hawks and Braves both lost last night, and Bret Favre may not be finished playing after all.

Braves first... I was really excited about baseball this year. I am a Braves fan, have been as long as I can remember. My first memory is Jeff Blauser (and his chin) laying a bunt down the third base line. He was thrown out, and they went to commercial break. That was back when the Braves, and only the Braves, played on TBS. Things have certainly changed. I am not sure that the same kind of 'station to station' baseball is popular or effective anymore. That is too bad.

The point is, I was excited about this season because the Braves seemed to be going back to what worked: pitching and defense. Wrong. I have avoided baseball for two years, and this was going to be my breakout year, but I am continually disappointed by blown leads, blown opportunities, and blown big time acquisitions. Last night they had an opportunity to tie the game or take the lead, bases loaded, not tonight. Lets see how the Hawks do in their first second round playoff appearance in 10 years.

I do not like basketball. Never have, probably never will. I think that may go back to being a Georgia fan and really never having anything to cheer for, but it may also be because I am short and white. Who knows? Anyway, I did not, and do not have high expectations for the Hawks. They are in the playoffs for the second time in a row. That's great. They took the Celtics to the seventh game last year, that's great. They got trounced by LeBron last night. Not so great.

And now... new for the 2009 NFL off season... Favre watch!!! Let's just see if he is really going to come back and play against his beloved Packers twice a year. More on that later.

stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment