Wednesday, July 28, 2010

a birthday review

Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me!

I turn 27 tomorrow, yeah sometimes it makes me feel old. At least I'm not 37 yet I guess. As I get older, I sometimes look back at things that have happened in the past; when I graduated high school, when I was saved, when I got married, when I had my kids, different important stuff.

The interesting thing about looking back is that the memories are usually so fresh, "it seems like only yesterday" kind of stuff. Then I think about when, or, how long ago it really was. I graduated high school 9 years ago! NINE YEARS! anyways, because of this, I want to look back at the past year and put it into perspective for myself.

A year ago I had a 19 month old girl, and a 7 week old girl. I had been living at my current residence for almost a year, and I had started a new (albeit familiar) job for almost two months.

Since then, Mara has started sitting up, eating, walking, and darn near talking. Abigail is almost 23 years old now ready to move out, get married, have kids, and change the world. Kidding. She is ready to change the world though, trust me. We have rearranged the house I think three times now, initially putting the girls in separate rooms, then in the same room, and now in separate rooms again. The last change ended up with me and my wife moving out room into the family room.

We tried moving from this house, to a bigger one (the aforementioned lack of an extra bedroom being the catalyst for this attempt) and were told we would have to wait at least six months (this information being the catalyst for the last rearranging of furniture). So, we are cozy in the house, and almost have it conformed to our desire to last another six months.

The job thing has probably had the most drastic change in the past year (which sounds ludicrous since I have two baby girls) but a lot has happened, mostly good. It turns out, I am still pretty good at flipping pizza and have had a couple of promotions. Of course I am still waiting for the one that could change my lifestyle from a late night hourly employee to a schedule making salaried company man. it will come... eventually.

One of my dogs lost its hearing, or she is more stubborn than we initially thought. We have been blessed by God's favor too many times to recall, but a couple of things have been the aforementioned healthy, happy family, the aforementioned dream job, and a van. God is good!

My wife and I have been married for another year, and I guess at some point in the near future, the honeymoon is supposed to be over and things should start getting miserable, but all I can remember is how awesome she is to me and my daughters and what a blessing it is to have her in my life. I love her more today than I did yesterday and a lot more today than I did a year ago. maybe that is because as I grow older I see how hopeless I would be on the "open market" but I think it has more to do with the fact that God has blessed our love with his and is constantly leading us together toward himself.

a football season has come and gone, which saw some very interesting things, Favre and Saints to name a couple.

all in all, it has been a great year, and I am ready for another. hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment